Friday, March 6, 2009

A Perfectionist That Go Ahead His Limit

Have you ever feel like a total idiot, after pass judgment on a friend’s work? I admit I’m a perfectionist, a person that aiming for the best; even a slight mistake is prohibited. I like to do thing right; following the procedures, work with slower pace and might do whatever thing in order to have a perfect outcome. There’s one time when I fling away a full page of report just because I couldn’t find my liquid paper. To me, strikethrough is a total NO in my report or academic writing (blog is okay); nonetheless in examination, I’m always in dilemma because I didn’t study at all, thanks to EA games liquid paper is not allowed. Geez, thanks for forcing me to do strikethrough. Yet come to think about it, I didn’t really do much strikethrough even in exam.

*applause*


Okay, back to this topic; being a perfectionist of course had its bad and good. It’s totally a double-edged sword. The good thing is the outcome is forever satisfactory but the bad thing is you tend to waste more time, tend to spend more on stuff that are not necessary (liquid paper for instance), and recently which I just discover, being perfectionist MAKE UR FRIEND PISSED OFF BIG TIME.


There’s a friend of mine who had been always ready to lend a hand, most cases la. Then there’s one day when I went to his house to borrow things, for the very first time; I saw a stack of paper on his roommate table. It looks like an assignment to me, but more like some standard three level assignment. Without fail, every time I witness things that seems amusing to me, I’ll surely point it out.


Mels: Hey, what’s this?

Friend: (busy looking for things inside his room) What?
Mels: The thing on your roommate table.
Friend: (still looking) Oh, report.
Mels: Haha, it sure looks funny.
Friend: (still looking) Funny? Why say so?
Mels: Your roommate sure has the guts to challenge his lecturer. His English alphabets are similar to Jawi writing.
Friend: (still looking?) …
Mels: Haha, your roommate Malay?
Friend: (coming out of his room) That’s my report, any problem with that?

At that moment, Mels hoping that there are holes where he can just hide his face.


And that was things that passed long time ago, and i think I'm forgiven. But recently, we are assigned to a group task. Each of us is required to do a portion of it and when we finished our parts, we send it to a
scapegoat person to compile it; which is by twist of fate to be my Jawi writing friend. What a small world. I did learn a lesson or two from my last mistake, this time I ‘die die’ also won’t comment on his writing. This time we are required to print it out, in other word we type it. Thank god! No more handwriting, no more comment from me. And one day, he sends me a copy of our assignment. As always, I’ll volunteer to check the assignment before print; that’s what a typical perfectionist will do.

As I read-through the assignment, I found out plentiful of grammar mistake, misuse of English terms, and some incorrect vocabulary in the introduction part; so I texted the compiler; which is happen to be my Jawi friend AGAIN to had a look.


Mels: Hey, take a look at the intro part.

Friend: What’s wrong? It seem fine to me.
Mels: See properly la, so many grammar mistakes. He using Engrish or English?
Friend: A few only la.
Mels: A few!? You read properly. Kinder garden level English okay. Nevermind I asked **** to redo it.

**** is a name of the other friend which is in my group. So I texted ****;


Mels: Redo your introduction ASAP, a lot of mistake.

****: I changed my part already, I’m doing conclusion.
Mels: Who you change with?
***: ‘Friend’ the one who compile it.









"TOK TOK TOKTOK"


*sound of me digging holes*


Sorry ‘Friend’, I just wanted to be perfect.


3 comments:

jfook said...

Mmmm..This is always happening in group assignments.

Ronnie said...

Its good to be perfect !!

Anonymous said...

There's a price to pay for being 'perfect'

Melly Monkey's Chat Box