Saturday, February 21, 2009

Initially UniMAP


It has been nearly four semesters being here in UniMAP, Perlis the place where I’m doing my degree for materials engineering. Unquestionably studying in Perlis is already a big issue, a small country which has nothing to offer for a city guy like myself; Perlis is an agricultural country, mainly famed for their paddle field. When I say ‘agricultural’, it means we live our life agriculturally; it’s GREENISH in everything we do. I can assure you, if you are in Perlis, you ‘die die’ also will come across a paddle field one.

When I first receive the letter from the education ministry telling me that I had being selected to further my study in UniMAP, I was so nervous, worry and no doubt panic; I almost phone everyone I knew asking them what’s UniMAP? For those of you who don’t know,
UniMAP (University of Malaysia Perlis) was once known as KUKUM (Engineering College University of Northern Malaysia; I’m not so sure about the naming cause when I enter it’s already changed to UniMAP, but that’s should be right). So I called/texted all my friends, my enemies, my cousins, my teachers, the chicken rice hawker, my saloon hairdresser, Subzero salesgirl, Cybercafé buddy, basketball coach and teammates, Jusco’s Blue Waves security guard, Kenny from Kenny Rogers Donald from McDonald, KC from KFC, Zahut from Pizzahut, Ah Zhu, Ah Kaw, Ah Mel, Ah Tham, Ah Fu and even people I barely contacted for centuries.

Well most of the people I called/texted reply. Here are some of the comforting replies.


UniMAP? New University? But don’t worry all new universities are good cause they are armed with new equipment mamy cousin who’s doing medic in UKM replied.
[At least, this calm me down a little, as hearing some good news is always better than none bad news]

“UniMAP..University of Melaka? University of Malaysia Pahang? University of Malaysia Perlis? University of Malaysia Penang?argh ng chi ar (Cantonese: i don't know)”
whispered my brother who constantly trying to solve the mystery.
[At least, it helps me to narrow down the places]

“UniMAP is known as KUKUM, just change to a full university title last years, located in Perlis. An engineering based university, a good one in fact”
my PA teacher answering all my wonders.
[At last some professional view, very informatics. A really BIG help]

“Silly boi you get where then study where lo, no need trouble yourself. Nervous for what?”
advised my mum who has always been my ‘backbone’ for everything.
[A real comforting one, doesn’t you realize that whatever advice that comes out from your family is indeed a real comforting one]

Those replies, advices and all the helps given are profoundly valued. At least it won’t make me look like a total fool when my aunts ask me about my university-going-to-be. At least I have something to crap of:


Aunty ar..My university hor..In Malaysia one..errr..Not bad one..” that doesn’t help huh? Okay I do look like a fool that time.

Nevertheless, there are some replies that scared the Frog out of me as below:


UniMAP or UMP? Aiya! In Malaysia hor, we use short term U for ‘U-N-I-V-E-R-S-I-T-Y’. You dun go make it long la. I gerenti it with my head UniMAP is in Pahang”
one of my friends dog replied.
[Thank you Mr-You-Think-You-Know-Everything, I nearly bought a ticket to Pahang for my orientation week and where’s your head?]

I heard UniMAP is a Thailand based university. Man, you’re lucky man, all those chicks” another friend of mine arsewhole replied.
[Frankly speaking, you really scare the heck out of me. I thought I got to spend all my 4 years eating Tom Yam and watching Smallville in Thai]. Just for your information, all TV broadcasts such as movies, dramas, news and even commercials are translated into their language in Thailand.

“You get UniMAP? Puh..haahahaha..Mels got UniMaP..waKakakakaKa!!! Yipee!!!”
another friend of mine jerk replied.
[“Geez what was that?” I’m wondering even till now whether he’s cheering for me or laughing at me]

“…”
another friend of mine bastard replied.
[That’s help a lot. Geez thanks man]

And when I’m so tense and I couldn’t think of any other solution; normally I’ll
go to the temple to look for a fortune teller or a Feng Shui master google my problem. And guess what I get when I typed in ‘UniMAP’ for the search items.














*Ding..Results 1-10 of about XXX*
Did you mean ‘Multimap’?


Multimap

Multimap is one of the world's leading providers of mapping and location-based

services. Our partnership with Multimap enables our street-level maps of ...


SAY HI TO PERLIS!!


And at that moment, I know I’m screw BIG TIME!

To be continued…

Melly Monkey's Chat Box