Monday, August 3, 2009

Those Good Old Days

Nothing motivates me even just to move. Earlier today, when I was waiting for the bus I borrowed my friend mp3 player. Just in case you guys don’t know, bus waiting is usually something boring and almost true to say it’s a disaster. Visualize yourself standing in the hot burning sun, not to mention carrying those books and files.

Just to kill time, I need her mp3 player. She was refusing to borrow at first and that triggers my curiosity even more: “Now, what she store inside her mp3 player?” Anyway, after a long persuasion, I finally get her to agree with me.

Honestly, there is nothing special inside her mp3 player, just some old songs; to be precise; songs that I listen to when I was a teenager (most probably in my secondary school years). Listening to those song seem like a time travel to me. I was once again teleport back to my teenager life. That is the time when we are so into S Club Seven, Backstreet Boy, N’sync, M2M and many more.

Being a poor kid, there is nothing much that I can do back then. I can’t afford any of the rich kids’ toys: neither Nintendo, Playstation nor computer. What I have is just my family old television, a radio and may be some antique 2D tetris gamboy. I may be richer now, but I somehow still miss my old day’s entertainments; at least they're happy-simple-easy things.

There are many silly things I did, for instance writing diary is one of them. I’m not talking about one or two diaries; I’m talking about serious diary writing, until I often ran out of books. For a secondary two kid to have a habit of diary writing is indeed something outlandish. Nevertheless I have no one to share my thoughts with; all I have is diary. They’re certainly a good listener, tell them your problem all you want and they will listen to every word you wrote on them with no complains. Somehow I fall in love with writing.

Talking about silly thing, I still remember me staying awake on Wednesday late night just to listen to my favorite radio program. When its 12 am sharp, I’ll plug in my earphone and tunes into Hitz.fm just to listen to their top 20 songs. That was the time I really fall in love with music, especially Bryan McKnight- Back at One, it kill me every time. I even recorded every single of them in cassette; you might still find them in the storeroom.

That was the time when I’m free of problems, that was the time I just live my life happily. I’m just a simple kid; like every ordinary kid. There is nothing special in me, I’m just a shy nerd who wears a big frame glasses with a heavy bag. Back then I was not as athletic as I’m now, to be honest I can’t even pass my 100 meters run and I nearly make a fool out of myself during long jump practice.

Well, there’s someone I need to thank to for introducing sports in my life. I guess he’s enjoying his life in UK now. Anyhow, thank you JM for introducing basketball in my life. He’s the one who relentlessly invite me over for a game or two and he’s my first mentor that teaches me a few tricks on basketball. We both are a fan of Slam Dunk comic, so we click along very well. I still remember that I can’t wait for every Friday to come, because that’s the day JM drop by my house, had our lunch or maybe a game or two of Red Alert, then we are off to the nearest basketball court. That’s the happiest moment of my basketball memory and no doubt, it’s the nicest sport I ever played.

Because of my passion in basketball, I had chosen to practice under several coaches. First of all, practice is not mended to be fun. That’s the time, I had the most number of cramps in my leg; that’s the time I’m being push to my limit every day. Slowly but surely I’m better at basketball, that’s the time I started to kick ass. Due to my uncountable ass kicking, I was appointed to represent my area. When it comes to competition, that’s the time when the coach started to put ‘winning is a must’ in your mind. In order to win, I become fiercer in my game, more cunning and I did splendidly in my every game; for the reason that I’m thirst for victory. I take basketball into another level, that’s when I started to play with the senior team; state players and national players. But JM wasn’t playing with me anymore. Maybe because I want to win so badly, I can’t control my temper; maybe because I’m good at it, I become vain or maybe because of this, no one want to play with me anymore.

Years later, I become a regular player in the league but then I start to realize that the happiest basketball moment is when I’m playing with my bunch of friends. They may not be as challenging as those players I met in the league, but at least we had a good time laughing at each other mistakes. Being under so many different coaches, I have developed numerous of skills and strategy; some I discover myself and some teaches by the coach. But one thing I find difficult to correct is the way I do my shooting; because you teach me so. Come watch my game, maybe you’ll realize I still do the same fake lay ups and the same fanatical turnover that you teach me.

Thanks JM! At least now I can brag over with some brats that this nerd finally has a sport that he is good at. And it come handy when I need to charm some girls. Anyhow at least I’m proud to say I know a sport and I still love it.

Those old days were surely something for me to smile for. Nonetheless I think I better return her mp3 player now before she kill me.


No comments:

Melly Monkey's Chat Box