Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hidden ‘Makan’ Place


The word ‘makan’ mean eat in Malay; accordingly the phase ‘makan place’ simply suggests eating place or a place to please one hunger. I had been hang about in Perlis for quite a while; one and a half year to be exact but I never heard of any eating place that serves Chinese Penang style laksa. What I had so far in Perlis were just Malay style laksa; having a Chinese Penang style laksa in Perlis is like searching a pearl in the sea. It’s a real desirability to the Perlis citizen especially laksa-lover.

About a few kilometers from Taman Semarak, there lies a hidden stall in the housing estate area. Most people will just passes by without even noticing any stall nearby. Indeed a real out of sight place. I wouldn’t have found that place without the guidance of my friend (thanks a bunch to her).Once I reach there, the aroma of the finely diced fish and Assam stew is all around me. As I was walking in, my curiosity is soaring high wondering what are their specialty; then I overheard the lady owner talking about their famous ones; the Lemak Laksa (a typical Thai laksa) and the Assam Laksa (well-known Penang Laksa).

The hot-sweet-sour-spicy laksa is irresistible; it’s proven when many of customers leaving with a empty clean bowl and a big burp of satisfactory. The thick fish stew is just perfect for lunch; if you are not a laksa fonder, you might try their chill cendol or Malaysian famous Ais Kacang as well. That’s just something we need right after a bowl of laksa. What a perfect combination of ice, sweet-sour-spicy stew and DELICIOUS.


To all laksa-lover: “Hunt for the pearl today and experience a bowl yourself, highly recommended”. NON-HALAL.


No comments:

Melly Monkey's Chat Box